By Jerry Roth
With every great tradition there is a moment when you feel your heart skip a beat, the air around you begins to change, and your decisions guide you toward the greatest moment of your life. On August 3rd through 6th, that tradition continues with the 7th annual Ledgestone Insurance Open presented by Discraft in Peoria, IL.
Widely regarded as, "The richest tournament in the history of the sport" the Ledgestone Insurance Open not only boasts the highest payouts, with $50,000 added to pro divisions alone, but with the elimination of "stroke and distance" from the Eureka course, this year’s tournament is sure to bring the highest level of competition and along with it a large spectator gallery hungry for exciting disc golf.
Other things of note in 2017 include:
- MPO will play only the Eureka Temporary Course - August 3rd - August 6th
- FPO will play only Northwood and Sunset Hills - August 3rd - August 6th
- Safety upgrades will be made to both Westwood and Wildlife
Discraft will again return as the presenting sponsor, and with their extraordinary partnership, the Ledgestone player's pack has gained a reputation as the premier player's package second to none in the sport of disc golf. With innovation in mind, Ams will also get the opportunity to choose some of their plastic in their player packs. More details on that soon.
Ams will play August 4th - 6th
Other things of note that will impact Am player's in 2017 include:
- The introduction of a Director of Am Experience for the enrichment of the amateur players
- The addition of a Mini tournament
- Ice cream social returns
- Discraft putting competition
- Disc golf festival at Sunset Hills returns
For a complete list of the week’s events go to this link.
With the excitement of the Ledgestone Insurance Open returning in 2017, once again Ledgestone and Discraft will support a charity near to their heart, the St. Jude Research Hospital which has received nearly $60,000 in just 4 years. A St. Jude "dunk tank" will be available for participation at Sunset Hills both Friday and Saturday, a popular return from 2016.
With the 7th annual Ledgestone Insurance Open now a part of the Disc Golf Pro Tour, and the return of the strongest top professional disc golfers from around the world, the expectation of this event promises to surpass anything seen in prior years. In an astonishing occurrence, over 500 players signed up on the very first day of registration last year. Don't miss out on your opportunity to join this prestigious event. You have the option of "hole sponsorship" for the minimal fee of an additional $75 if you register online during the hole sponsor window. The sponsor will receive a Limited Edition disc as well as the privilege of registering as early as February 1st.
- February 1st 2017 - Registration opens at 6:00 PM for: Hole Sponsorship (early registration)
- March 1st 2017 - Registration opens at 6:00 PM for: MPO players rated 970+ along with FPO players rated 900+ as well as all age protected professional divisions
- March 8th 2017 - Registration opens at 6:00 PM for: Am divisions
- April 1st 2017 - Registration opens at 6:00 PM for: all other divisions regardless of rating
Please stay tuned for any updates or changes and as always good luck and welcome to the 2017 Ledgestone Insurance Open presented by Discraft.